Monday, September 29, 2008

Read and Rate

Herewith, an email I have composed to my stepmother, who has sent a request via email, the import of which will become clear as you read my drafted response.

My question to you, reader, is whether the response is

A) snappish
B) mean
C) whiny
D) appropriate
E) oh shut up already. You got fucked. Deal with it.

Here is what I intend to say to her:

Erika,

You said recently that your home had died when my father died. I am sure you realize that the only home I have ever had died with him, too. Everyone else in this family has a spouse – or children - or both. I am the only person left without a soul to call my own. Dad was my home plate, and I am not only without a home, but without a family as well.

My father kept my things and my mother's in storage for me all these years because he dearly hoped that one day my circumstances would change, and that I could provide a proper household in which to keep and use those things that are so precious to our family’s history. That wish never materialized. This fact saddened my dad and it saddens me daily that I am, at this late stage, so unsettled in life.

That is how the matter of the furniture and its upkeep stands and I do not expect anything to change. However, your inquiry about your own responsibility or lack thereof in the matter does give me reason to ask some questions regarding our family.

My brother, sister and I have not been informed as to whether my father made any provision for his natural children – or his grandchild - in his will. Did my father make any provision for Buzz, Chiara, and I in his will?

If he did, it would be a good time for you to let us know what those provisions are. I have hesitated, out of respect for the grief we are experiencing, to ask - because it seemed best to let you take the lead, being the only person with the entirety of the information. So far, you have not said much at all.

Aside from sending me a check recently, (for which I am grateful, truly) you have given me no information about the state of the family finances – or whether my brother, sister and I are in any way entitled to any part of those assets. However, your suggestion that it is time for me to pay my own furniture storage fees leads me to believe that my father intended for you to be unencumbered by this recurring bill after his death – and that none of his money or property had been set aside for me, my brother and my sister.

Is this the case? Some good clear communication of these facts would be most welcome to me, and I am sure my brother and sister (though I do not speak for them) would like the information as well.

Love,
Nina





10 comments:

sybil law said...

Your letter is entirely appropriate, and respectful to boot.
I'd much prefer you call her bitch, but I am mean like that.
Hope you get some answers!

Anonymous said...

I second Sybil Law. Perfect, just so.

Unknown said...

Precise, to the point but also says.... back off (gently)

(d) Appropriate

Julie said...

It's a good one.

Avitable said...

She wrote you saying that she wasn't going to pay for furniture storage fees anymore but still hasn't told you the full contents of the will? I think your letter is very diplomatic, and especially so, given the circumstances.

P said...

Well done - restrained, but firm.

Kate P said...

I'm having trouble getting past the fact that you were presented with the so-called request via e-mail. Unless I'm way off base and this is the usual method of communication.

Maggie said...

Your response is well-written, respectful and proper.

God she's terrible!

LizLSB said...

Your response shows admirable restraint, given the circumstances.

(D)

Forrest said...

Send it (of course, you probably have done so already)